AMS has BEGUN!
Holiday is over! my research year at royal children's hospital has begun~So far it has been exciting. The hardest bit is to get out of the warm, cosy bed at 7 in the morning. As soon as I get passed that, it's all good.
So whats a typical day?
I wake up and get to station around 8am. Sometimes I bump into cell people! Once we had 4 of us on the GW 810 train! that was way kewl~ Then i catch a 59 tram down to Flemmington road. Only takes about 15 mins. Then, I'll get to my locker and get changed into green gown (if I intend to go to theatre that day). The gowns are HUUGE! there's limited supply on SMALL sizes. Some older medical student advised me to put some small ones in the locker - for spare. Ha ha... GREAT ADVICE! (It sounded dodgy when Steph suggested it... ha ha... sorry steph...)
And Yeh in the theatre, i follow the anaesthetist around. Talking to little children and their parents about whats going to happen to them. Then the anaesthetist puts the child to sleep either using "magic gas" (sevoflurane) or some IV drug (ie injected into the vein). It's quite strange to see people anaesthetised. You can do whatever you like to them... ha h.. I must not abuse my power over the weak...
It's my goal to do some Cannulation (IV drip) during this year. I wanna fine-tune this vital skill. Slowly slowly, i'll get there!!
My supervisor is nice. and he's cool. He's funny too. Reminds me of the Red Faces Simon... - just in terms of looks... actually my sup is much better looking than Simon Red. anyway, he looks after me really well. I could tell coz the past 2 AMS students have no complains. They're now employed (as a casual researcher) to work for him during the holiday. COOL HUH? I'm so lucky to have them two with me during this first week! They give good advice!!
My research project is on "awareness in anaesthsia". Basically using some monitors to measure how aware they are during the time they are "asleep". I got to practise on a patient today. It's what they call a "dummy trial".
The best bit is to play with little kids.. those 2, 3 year olds are SOO adorable... their smile! so innocent~ The best bit about paediatrics!! The parents are not as bad as I thought. but i can totallly understand why they can get grumpy sometimes. who would want to see their kids sick?
It's quite sad to see children with serious illnesses though. like a tumour compressing the spine causing the px to become quadriplegic.. Pretty nasty... I guess the hospital desensitises you... You learn to become professional, ie not very emotional.. your mind is kinda trained to block away the emotional side of things...
Anyway, I'm learning heaps at hospital and I'm enjoying it! I've only had ONE maccas meal so far! the new burger (chicken fillet) is pretty good~ I look forward to the happy meal. the pooh bear toy and ee-or... (can't spell...)... Oh i must spend more time in the starlight hall too! where all the kids play games~

2 Comments:
Yeah Irene, y'all in the epi/stats thing are slackers ^_^
Aye Eeyore is cute ^_^ I don't know if I would make a good paed because I think I'd be too soft hearted on the kids and feel sad when they have terminal illnesses and so I might ... cry ... or something. Haha. Perhaps after clinicals and internship I will be TOO TIRED to cry.
See, now you know why I do children's church.. the kids are so cool.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home