The not so straight forward mothers...
My mother and I were talking to the neighbour who is Turkish in her 80s. She lives alone. A very cheerful lady indeed.She mentioned that she has sons who don't understand women. She wished that they would take her out, to have coffee, to the shop. However in her words, "i'm not the kind of person to ask my sons to take me out". In other words, she'd rather keep it to herself and wished for something she will never verbalise. She doesn't want to ask the daughter in law either.
So I translated that to my mother, who later said she totally agreed. My mother is one who is sensitive and wants to be pampered but doesn't want to ask. She bluntly pointed to the fact that I don't proactively ask her out. (not just after I got married, but going back a long time)
Indireclty, she compared me to her friend's 'wonderful' son who loves to listen and loves to have coffee.
I think it's a two-way thing. A relationship has got to be two-way. I don't recall my mum ever take me out on a special date / trip to have mother-daughter time. (shopping excluded)
I will again, try a bit harder. WOMEN... they're a difficult species, at least some are. JUST SAY WHAT YOU WANT! What's the fun of letting people guess for 20 years and then feel bitter about it.
If I were a mother...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home